Librarian Assistant/Substitute (Library Aide & Substitute)
Haston Free Public Library/North Brookfield
Summary of Position Responsibilities:
Under supervision of the Library Director, the Librarian Assistant interacts with library patrons, assists them with routine questions and directs them to appropriate locations or staff; processes library checkouts, renewals, returns, reserves, fines, patron registrations, and other circulation duties. The Library Assistant/Substitute will also be responsible for shelving and retrieving materials when necessary. Employee may be called upon to substitute in either the children’s or adult floors of the library.
Description of Supervision/Supervisory Responsibilities:
The Librarian Assistant is selected by the Library Director recommended to the Board of Library Trustees for appointment. The Library Assistant works under the general supervision and direction of the Library Director.
Essential Functions of Job:
- Interacts with library patrons, answers phones, assists patrons and callers with routine questions, and directs them to appropriate departments or staff
- Explains routine library policies to patrons
- Processes library checkouts, renewals, returns, reserves and registrations, utilizing inter-library network computerized circulation system; maintains circulation desk
- Calculates and collects fines for overdue, lost or damaged materials
- Verifies and completes details of patron registration
- Assists library patrons with database searches
- Assists in supervision of general library operations to ensure reasonable quiet, orderliness and patron compliance with library policies
- Monitors and maintains orderliness of assigned library shelves and other collection locations; collects and moves books and other materials as required
- Places and Processes interlibrary loan requests
- Provides assistance to children’s circulation area when necessary
- Performs similar or related work as required or assigned
- Working knowledge of library procedures
- Ability to provide information and assistance to patrons and to maintain favorable public relations
- Ability to adapt and apply new technologies as required
- Ability to learn automated circulation system
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately and with dispatch
- Ability to fairly and tactfully enforce library policies with patrons as required.
- Proficiency in the use of word processing and database computer applications
- Honesty, reliability, patience, discretion, and good judgment essential
Education and Experience/Other Requirements:
- High School diploma or G.E.D.
- At least one (1) year of experience working in a library setting or equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential function so the job
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices
Physical Requirements/Work Location:
Haston Free Public Library 161 North Main Street, North Brookfield, MA
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job is performed primarily in a municipal public library setting.
While performing the duties of the Librarian Assistant/Substitute, the employee is required to: interact and communicate frequently with the public, volunteers, other staff members and boards, and/or third parties transacting business with the Town; operate standard office equipment including computers and keyboards, at efficient speed; and move throughout the library facilities. Lifts/moves objects and books weighing up to 30 pounds; must be able to lift, push and/or pull objects and furniture while setting up activities at the library.
This position is non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and/or requirements of the job change.
Date adopted/revised: _____________